10 AM - 7 PM
Your search results

Islamabad International Airport to be inaugurated on August 14, 2017

Posted by Muhammad Imran on January 24, 2017

The inauguration of the New Islamabad International Airport has been delayed a couple of times in the past due to improper planning and mismanagement. The project missed two deadlines in October and December 2016. You can read more about the issues that kept the facility from becoming operational last year by clicking here.

As of late, things seem to be changing as Prime Minister (PM) Nawaz Sharif is more interested in inaugurating the project during his tenure. On January 19, 2017, Federal Planning Minister Ahsan Iqbal talked to the press from the premises of this facility, stating that the PM will inaugurate the New Islamabad International Airport this year on August 14. According to Iqbal, the inauguration would be a gift from the PM to the nation on the 70th Independence Day of Pakistan.

Iqbal couldn’t help mentioning how difficult it has been for the government to continue with development work on the new airport, which had genuine flaws. The flaws included its poor design, poor road access, water shortage and problems regarding gas and electricity supply. He also threw light on how effectively the government has dealt with these issues and has added additional facilities such as a Category III runway instead of Category II, construction of 15 bridges instead of 9, installation of a new grid station, and laying down of a new gas pipeline.

Commenting on the current status of the project, Iqbal said that the airport is about 90% complete so far and the remaining 10% will be completed in another 7 months. In anticipation of the airport’s opening and also due to the addition of new link roads connecting the airport with Kashmir Highway, the neighbouring housing societies have been witnessing a constant rise in demand and rates of property.

During the last few months, a prominent rise in property prices has been seen in Faisal Town, Shalimar Town, Top City-1 and Mumtaz City. Real estate experts expect that property rates in the mentioned society as well as several others located in close proximity to the new airport will see a further 25% rise in rates in the next 5 months.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Compare Listings